Wills and Estate Planning | SMSF Will | Testamentary Trust Will | Melbourne

Reseal of Probate in Australia

Availability of resealing in the States and Territories of Australia

Each of the 6 states and the 2 self-governing territories have own laws and rules relating to the recognition of foreign grants of probate or administration. Not all foreign grants are recognised under Australian law. If the foreign grant is not recognised under Australian law, then the resealing process is not available and a fresh application for a grant of probate or letters of administration must be made in Australia.Reseal Probate Estate Lawyers Australia

Generally, all states and territories throughout Australia recognise a grant of probate or letters of administration issued in by a court of any portion of “Her Majesty’s dominions” and such grants may be resealed in any other Australian state or self-governing territory listed above. Some other states have a wider application and cover other countries falling within the Commonwealth of Nations such as Canada, Malaysia and Singapore.

Resealing saves time and legal costs

Resealing is faster, requires less paperwork and incurs lower legal costs. The reason being that in the case of probate, the Australian courts accept that the Will has been proven under the foreign grant of probate, In the case of administration, the Australian courts accept the right of the administrator to administer the estate under the foreign grant of letters of administration.  Therefore, resealing is an authentication of the grant issued out of a foreign court.

Can a grant obtained in an Australian state or territory be used in another State or Territory?

Australia is a federation of states and territories. A grant of probate or administration obtained in one state or territory cannot be used in another state or territory unless the grant has been resealed.   For example, a deceased has real estate in both the States of New South Wales and Victoria. A grant obtained in the State of New South Wales cannot be used to transfer or sell property owned by the deceased situated in the State of Victoria unless the New South Wales grant has been resealed in Victoria. Similarly, a grant issued of the United Kingdom must be resealed in both New South Wales and Victoria in order to deal with properties held by the deceased situated in both these states.

The six states and two self-governing territories of Australia are:

State/TerritoryFlagAbbreviationCapital City
Australian Capital TerritoryFlag of Australian Capital Territory Australia Reseal Probate LawyersACTCanberra
New South WalesFlag of New South Wales Australia Reseal Probate LawyersNSWSydney
Northern TerritoryFlag of Northern Territory Australia Reseal Probate LawyersNTDarwin
QueenslandFlag of Queensland Australia Reseal Probate LawyersQLDBrisbane
South AustraliaFlag of South Australia Reseal Probate LawyersSAAdelaide
TasmaniaFlag of Tasmania Australia Reseal Probate LawyersTASHobart
VictoriaFlag of Victoria Australia Reseal Probate LawyersVICMelbourne
Western AustraliaFlag of Western Australia Reseal Probate LawyersWAPerth
Australian Capital Territory
New South Wales
Northern Territory
South Australia
Western Australia

Ready to find out more?

You can start an enquiry using Lucy, our virtual assistant, who can help you get in touch with the best probate and estate law firms in Australia. Simply click on the pop up in the bottom right corner of your screen to begin.

Alternatively you can send us an email!

Click here to go back to the top.

Recent Articles

What if a Will appoints an Executor who lives (or moves) overseas?

March 18, 2019

Question:  What if a Will appoints an Executor who lives (or moves) overseas?   Answer: A person who is made Executor in a Will and who lives outside Australia can appoint someone in Australia to administer the Estate.  The person who is appointed is often a solicitor with experience in the local requirements in Australia.…

Read More

Australian Assets and Overseas Beneficiaries

March 18, 2019

People who live outside Australia are able to receive Australian assets under a Will made in Australia.  If they are not mentioned by name in a Will but are entitled because of a relationship with the deceased person they will have to obtain evidence of that relationship in their own country. For example, a Will…

Read More